The below information is provided by Risk Services. Please visit their website or contact them for more details. Any questions about the insurance products mentioned below, as well as the university-provided urgent and emergency coverage, should be directed to

Northeastern Travelers are Required to have Personal Health Insurance

All travelers are required to have personal health insurance that provides coverage for their care while traveling when participating in Northeastern-sponsored trips. Travelers are urged to contact their health insurance provider in advance of departure to better understand how their particular insurance plan responds overseas. Many insurance plans (including NUSHP for students and Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA available to eligible Northeastern employees) provide some overseas coverage on a reimbursement basis meaning that the traveler pays out of pocket then files a claim for reimbursement with the insurance company upon return. Travelers should be prepared to pay for their medical care while overseas including deductibles on their respective health insurance plans.

If your plan does not provide coverage for your travel, you can purchase travel insurance that does. There are many companies that provide this type of policy. Below are links to companies that provide travel insurance. Northeastern University offers these links as examples of what is available. Northeastern does not sponsor, endorse or recommend any particular company or policy.

University-Provided International Urgent and Emergency Coverage

Northeastern maintains a comprehensive program to respond to costs associated with accidents and emergency/urgent illnesses that arise during Northeastern-sponsored trips to destinations outside the country of the NU member’s home campus.  This is not health insurance. 

A summary of benefits can be found here.

What’s the Difference Between an Emergency and an Urgent Situation?

  • ”Emergency” is a condition that is life threatening. Examples include but are not limited to:  difficulty breathing, injury to head or eyes, uncontrolled bleeding, loss of consciousness, severe burns, fractures, disorientation and inability to speak, suspected heart attack.
  • “Urgent” is a sudden, unexpected injury or illness that a prudent layperson could expect to result in serious medical complications, loss of life or permanent impairment in the absence of immediate medical attention. Examples include but are not limited to: severe flu, strep throat,  strains/sprains, sinus infections, urinary tract infections, skin rashes and infections, minor cuts that may need stitches.

The university program also provides repatriation and emergency evacuation for circumstances that arise during and in the course of Northeastern sponsored trips. The university program exceeds minimum limits required by overseas consulates and has no deductible.

Confirmation of Coverage Letter for Visas

Student travelers who require proof of insurance to obtain a visa for a Northeastern-sponsored trip, should contact their program coordinator to request a Confirmation of Coverage Letter. 

Independent faculty and staff travelers should contact to to request a Confirmation of Coverage Letter.

Travelers are asked to allow up to 14 days to process each request.

Personal Property Insurance

Northeastern University does not insure the personal effects of students or employees. You should rely on your personal insurance for any losses that you may sustain while traveling abroad. Please check your renters or homeowners policy for coverage.

Northeastern University students who are enrolled in the College Student Renters Insurance Program through Arthur J. Gallagher may find coverage for their belongings under this policy.

Below are links to companies that provide travel insurance that may offer coverage for lost luggage and items lost while traveling. Northeastern University offers these links as examples of what is available. Northeastern does not sponsor, endorse or recommend any particular company or policy.

Trip Cancellation Insurance

Northeastern University generally does not reimburse travelers for cancelled trips. Trip cancellation insurance can be purchased through a number of sources. The links provided in the medical and lost property sections above may be useful resources in obtaining additional information regarding trip cancellation coverage. Check with your specific program for more details.

Below are links to companies that provide travel insurance that may offer trip cancellation, disruption and interruption coverage while traveling. Northeastern University offers these links as examples of what is available. Northeastern does not sponsor, endorse or recommend any particular company or policy.



What if I Need Medical Treatment Overseas?

Emergency Treatment

Prior to your trip, you should familiarize yourself with the local emergency number (“911 equivalent”) in the locations you are visiting. If you or someone in your group has a life threatening health emergency, you should contact the local emergency number in your particular location. Please contact the 24/7 international assistance hotline +1.857.214.5332 (international collect calls are accepted) to access support services provided by our partners, the Collinson Group and Crisis24, a GardaWorld company. They will also notify the Global Safety and Support Office of your call to provide an added layer of support.

Urgent Care

If you are aware of or have a relationship with an appropriate medical facility in your location, go to that location. If you need assistance locating an appropriate medical provider, contact the Northeastern Global Safety and Support Network for help. If your condition arises during and in the course of the Northeastern sponsored trip, contact the Northeastern Global Safety and Support Network to assist in setting up a Guarantee of Payment at the facility you are visiting. This is widely accepted by most hospitals and clinics. If the provider accepts the Guarantee of Payment, the provider will bill Northeastern for the services. If the provider does not accept the payment, you may need to pay up front for the services and then be reimbursed for eligible expenses. If you need to be reimbursed, please contact and our claims team will assist you.

The Northeastern Global Safety and Support Network international assistance hotline can be contacted at: +1.857.214.5332.

Other Medical Care

If you have a chronic condition that requires or may require you to receive care while you are away on an Northeastern sponsored trip, you should work with your medical providers and health insurance company to arrange appropriate services overseas. Although The Northeastern Global Safety and Support Network can be a resource to find physicians to work with you and your providers in the location(s) you are visiting, we recommend that you work through your medical providers to find the appropriate clinicians abroad. You must rely on your personal health insurance for these services.

For medical care that is neither urgent nor emergency or care that is provided outside of the Northeastern program dates or on side-trips outside of the program, you should rely on your personal health insurance. Please work with your personal insurance company to determine your coverage overseas. The examples of travel insurance above may be a resource for you to find coverage if your personal health plan cannot accommodate your need for coverage abroad.

Who Pays for Medical Assistance Overseas?

Your Personal Insurance Coverage

  • All Northeastern travelers traveling overseas are required to have personal health insurance
  • Contact your health insurance company to learn how you are covered for incidents that occur outside of MA and outside the country. Let them know specifically where you will be traveling- including lay-overs
    • NUSHP (Northeastern University Student Health Plan) – Provides some coverage on a reimbursement basis. See your plan for details. 617-373-8007
    • Blue Cross Blue Shield (offered to eligible employees of Northeastern) – Provides some coverage on a reimbursement basis. See your plan or contact BCBSMA member services department at 888.543.8770 for details.
  • Rely on your personal insurance for :
    • Personal side trips, which is defined as leisure activity not directly related to the educational experience of the Northeastern program.
    • Chronic conditions for which you need ongoing care
      • Make arrangements in advance with your treating providers & your health insurance company
    • Non-Emergency, Non Urgent Treatment
    • Elective procedures and treatments
    • Lost/broken glasses, contact lenses, medical devices
    • Travel outside of the official trip/program dates
    • Injuries, illness resulting from activities outside of the program activities

Northeastern Program for Registered Travelers

  • Emergency and Urgent Only
  • Provides coverage for Northeastern employees traveling abroad for injuries occurring in the scope of employment
  • Provides coverage only during official Northeastern trip/program dates
  • No Deductible
  • Meets/exceeds minimum limits required by consulates for visa issuance
  • If you have eligible out of pocket expenses that need to be reimbursed, please contact for assistance in processing your claim.

Note: if the Northeastern program responds to an accident or illness that is deemed to be outside of the program or not an emergency/urgent condition – the traveler may be billed back for the services and costs.

Travelers who have additional questions can consult with your program or university risk services via

Who do I contact if I have questions about international insurance?

The university’s Office of Risk Services can answer your questions.  The best way to contact the office is to email or view this website for additional contact information.

I’m starting a co-op abroad. If I’m injured on the job, does Northeastern’s insurance cover me?

Injuries that occur on the job are the responsibility of the employer.  In the U.S., we have workers compensation that will pay your related medical expenses and lost time for injuries that happen in the course and scope of your employment.  Other countries have similar type programs. They vary by country and in many cases, as in the U.S.,  they also vary by state or province.  Before you accept a co-op position, you should confirm with your employer that they are covering you for work related injuries.  If you have any questions or cannot get confirmation, please see your co-op advisor for assistance.

If I drive a car while I’m overseas, am I covered by the university’s insurance?

No.  The university does not provide insurance coverage for students renting or driving vehicles abroad.  This includes cars, vespas, motor scooters, motorcycles, and other types of powered vehicles.  You must have your own personal insurance for liability purposes if you plan to rent or drive a vehicle while abroad.  You are also responsible for any medical costs incurred as a result of you driving a vehicle overseas.  The university’s program does not provide this coverage.

Special Notes for Co-op Students:
If you are on a co-op abroad and your employer requires you to drive on business, you should ask your employer to confirm that you are covered under their insurance.   See your co-op advisor if you have any questions or cannot get confirmation.

Do I need to have personal health insurance while I am in another country?

Yes.  The University provides coverage for accidents (including repatriation) that occur while you are away on a university-sponsored program or work-related activity, but does not cover you for routine sickness or medical needs while you are out of the country.

The Policy on International Travel requires “All students undertaking University-sponsored International Travel must possess personal health insurance that meets minimum standards as prescribed by the university.”  Personal health insurance coverage varies by vendor and type. Therefore, all travelers should call their insurance company and ask about coverage in the destination countries. The U.S. Department of State suggests some questions to ask your insurer, including:

  • Does my plan cover emergency expenses abroad such as returning me to the United States for treatment if I become seriously ill?
  • Do you require pre-authorizations or second opinions before emergency treatment can begin?
  • Do you guarantee medical payments abroad?

The university recommends travelers ask how the billing and payment for any services provided overseas will be handled and what paperwork you may need to make a claim. Travelers should request a full summary of benefits out of country.

If you have questions about university provided travel insurance, please email Risk Services at