Before you buy a new SIM card, make sure that your phone will work in your destination country.

Your phone will need to support 900 and 1800 MHz frequencies in Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Australia/Oceania, and parts of South America. Look to see if your phone is “tri-band” or “quad-band.” If it is either one of those, it should work in most countries. Your phone must also be unlocked to use a new SIM card. Here’s how to unlock your Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or pre-paid phone.

Roaming charges in the EU and EEA have been nixed for people who have an EU or EEA Member State SIM card. The free roaming, called “Roam Like at Home,” is only available on SIM cards bought in a Member State that you have a “stable link” to. A stable link could be an employment relationship or regularly attending classes at a university. Here are some frequently asked questions about the service. However, not all providers have opted in. Make sure to confirm with your provider that this service is available.

This guide can be used as a helpful resource to determine the requirements and options for purchasing and/or using a cell phone/SIM card in your destination. As laws, requirements, and service options are subject to change, we recommend that you confirm this information with your program sponsor, co-op employer, etc. prior to departure. This guide may not include all destinations. For information about a destination not listed, please contact This guide should be used as a reference and is not indicative of an endorsement of any products or services.